The level of comfort and support provided by your mattress can have a profound impact on your sleep. And a mattress topper is an effective way to improve your current set up.
Whether you need to revitalize an ageing mattress, change the softness or firmness, or give yourself an extra layer of luxury to sleep on, there’s a topper that will give you what you need.
In this review I’ll be looking at the best mattress toppers made from a range of materials: memory foam, latex, wool, down and cotton.
Whether you’re looking for comfort, support, pain-relief or temperature regulation, hopefully you’ll find one which gives you a great night’s rest.
1) Malouf Isolus ventilated memory foam
Memory foam mattress topper that avoids heat retention
The Isolus ventilated mattress topper is a luxuriously supportive and comfortable memory foam topper, made by the well-respected bedding company Malouf.
This is a topper which you can sink into, feel cushioned and drift off to sleep safe in the knowledge that you won’t be bothered by pressure points.
Impressively for a memory foam topper, you’ll find it has minimal heat retention due to the ventilation tubes running throughout it.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It molds perfectly to the shape of your body, both cushioning and supporting you.
- It supports your back and joints to ease pain and pressure.
- It’s ventilated to allow air flow and prevent heat retention.
- It doesn’t smell strongly when first out of the box.
- Comes with a 3 year warranty.
- It’s a good price for a memory foam topper.
There isn’t much to complain about with this mattress topper. It would be nice if it came with a cover, but it’s the main body which is most important.
And despite being superior to most other memory foam toppers in terms of heat and initial smell, you may find that there’s still a little of both.
Overall, this is an excellent addition to any bedroom, whether you’re new to memory foam or are looking for a good quality mattress topper. Once you’ve slept on it it’s unlikely you’ll ever want to go back to a normal mattress.
2) Extra plush rayon from bamboo
Comfortable goose down alternative
This natural bamboo topper by Exceptional Sheets is technically advertised as a pad rather than a topper. However, the terms pad and topper are often interchangeable, with the end result being what really matters.
And the thickness and quality of this pad definitely merit a place among the more heavyweight mattress toppers.
The pad is particularly soft and comfortable, feeling like goose down and very popular due to this. It won’t mold to and support your body like a memory foam topper, but it will get you some way towards that fabled ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling.
Here are the key features:
- The inside is made from cluster fiber – little balls of soft fiber which improve ventilation and help maintain shape.
- It has a silky bamboo blend cover, making it feel even softer under your sheets.
- It’s a hypoallergenic alternative if you’re allergic to down, but enjoy that level of softness.
- It can be used on top of either a mattress or a firmer topper such as memory foam or latex.
- It’s designed with individual boxes of fiber to keep an even shape.
- It’s easy to clean and machine washable.
- You get a 30 day return and 1 year exchange warranty.
The main downside is that if you’re trying to hide very large lumps or dips in your current mattress, it might not be up to the job.
But if your main goal is to provide an extra layer of softness and comfort, this is a very effective choice. It will definitely spruce up your mattress and have you feeling soft and cozy again.
3) Ultimate dreams talalay latex topper
Deluxe latex mattress topper
It’s 3 inches thick, which will help hide any lumps or dips in your current mattress, and you have three choices of firmness to choose from.
The soft version is at the lower end of the scale for firmness, so you’ll sink into it but still receive support for your back. The medium is actually probably in the medium-firm category, so you’ll get plenty of support for your body.
And the firm really is quite solid – great if you enjoy a harder sleeping surface, but otherwise perhaps a bit too much.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It’s comfortable and supportive for your body.
- You can choose the level of firmness you need.
- The material itself is a quality blended latex, made from 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex.
- It’s hypoallergenic, ideal for allergy sufferers.
- It comes with a soft and elegant bamboo fabric case.
- There’s a 45 day comfort warranty.
- The latex is durable and will last for a long time without sagging.
- It’s heavy enough to stay in place on your current mattress.
- It’s breathable and doesn’t retain heat.
Overall, it’s an impressive mattress topper, solidly constructed and with enough choice to get the exact level of support you need. If you’re looking for a serious mattress upgrade which you’ll sleep comfortably on, the Utimate Dreams latex topper won’t disappoint.
4) Biosleep concept organic wool topper
Luxury organic wool topper
The Biosleep Concept is an excellent wool mattress topper, with a lovely balance of luxurious feel, body support and temperature regulation at night.
If you’re not keen on the more synthetic materials such as memory foam or polyester, wool should be high up on your shortlist.
If you tend to overheat at night or have allergies, and want a comfortable yet firm, supportive, chemical-free mattress topper it’s a great option.
Here are the key points to note:
- The inside is organic wool from the United States. The cover is 100% cotton.
- Being 3 inches thick, it will effectively cover lumps and sagging in an old mattress.
- It’s comfortable to sleep on, yet balances that with a firm support for your body, helping any aches or problems with pressure points.
- It’s hypoallergenic and resistant to mildew and dust mites.
- Even though it will compress, with regular fluffing you’ll find it’s very durable and should last years.
- It’s breathable and will help keep you cooler than most other mattress toppers, yet also provide warmth and comfort in winter.
One drawback to wool is that it does tend to compress over time, so if you’re looking for a soft, fluffy, sinking into the bed feeling for years to come, it might not be right for you.
You’ll also find you do need to occasionally fluff it or take it outside for a few minutes to breathe. So if you have problems lifting, that could be an issue.
Wool toppers are probably the best choice if you need a combination of support for aching muscles or stiff joints and temperature regulation. And this is a carefully made topper with high quality natural materials which does those jobs extremely well.
5) Pacific Coast eurorest featherbed topper
High quality feather mattress topper
Having covered mattress toppers which provide firmness and support, it’s now time to focus on softness. And for that there’s nothing quite like lying on a bed of down feathers.
And of the many feather toppers available, my recommended choice is this one from Pacific Coast. It’s a well-designed model which should give you the perfect soft surface to sleep on.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It feels comfortable, fluffy and soft to sleep on.
- The cover is a luxuriously soft 230 thread count cotton.
- The fill contains duck down feathers.
- The feathers are cleaned to be anti-allergenic.
- There’s no initial odor, often found with synthetic materials.
- The cover is thick enough to prevent feathers poking through.
- It’s made with several long channels of feathers. This prevents bunching at the edges, but also gives you room to spread the feathers in a way that suits your body shape if necessary.
- There’s a 30 day comfort guarantee, so you can return it if you just don’t like it.
The main downside is the same as with all feather and down mattress toppers – you’ll have to fluff it on a regular basis. The instructions tell you to do it daily to maintain the best shape and softness.
Overall, this is a well-designed and beautifully soft feather mattress topper. It’s a great option if softness is your number one criteria and you enjoy that uniquely special cosy feeling that down brings.