If you’re kept awake at night by noise you can’t prevent, choosing to listen to white noise can be an effective way to mask external sources and help you relax.
It’s also great if you have trouble concentrating while working or studying. So where is the best source of white noise online?
You have several options when it comes to getting hold of good quality sounds, and I’ll discuss each of the following to help you choose:
- White noise MP3s you can buy and download.
- Free white noise online – produced by an online generator that you can play with.
- White noise machines.
1. White Noise MP3s
This is easily how you can access the greatest choice of relaxing sounds to listen to.
If you don’t want to buy a special machine to produce the sounds you like, then buying and downloading white noise MP3s is my recommended option.
MP3s take up less space on a computer or audio device and are quick to download once you’ve bought them.
You can then play them through your computer or stereo depending on your home audio set-up. You can also easily put them onto an MP3 player or even your mobile phone.
2. Free online sources
You can find some great free white noise online generators which range from the simple to the entertainingly interactive.
There are definitely some good reasons to use a white noise online creator:
- It’s free!
- You can interact with it to find the exact sound you need to block out external noise and to help you relax
- You can have it playing through your computer while you work to help you concentrate
But as always, there are some reasons why it might not be the best long-term option, especially if you want one to help you sleep:
- The sound quality is usually not as good as a professionally made MP3 or CD
- Do you sleep in the same room as your computer?
- Do you want to leave your computer on all night?
Even though there are better options for listening to white noise, or relaxing sounds from nature, the free white noise online generators can be fun to play around with. And the level of control you have over the sound is a bonus in some situations.
With so many different websites coming offering them nowadays, below are my favorite free online white noise players from the many I’ve tried.
Best online creator
My favorite online player which focuses on white noise alone is simplynoise.com for the following reasons:
- It’s very easy to use, with simple and smooth buttons to play with.
- You can quickly choose to swap between white, pink and brown noise.
- The sound quality is good.
- You can adjust the volume and even set it to oscillate.
- There’s an in-built sleep timer.
Best online sound mixer
If you like the idea of playing around with different sounds from nature to create your own soundscape then try out the mixer hosted by soundsleeping.com.
It’s not technically an online white noise maker due to the obvious absence of being able to choose white noise! But it does have many fun options:
- You can put together a selection of any 5 sounds from the menu, and adjust the volume and panning of each.
- There are more than 35 sounds to select – so there are endless combinations.
- They have 4 different binaural beats to choose from.
- The loops are not too short, so you don’t hear thunder every 2 seconds for example.
3. White Noise Machines
You can find machines for around $50 that produce authentic and pure white noise by controlling the flow of air that goes through the device.
You can also find more expensive models which have multiple soundscapes to choose from, and which come with clever features such as automatically turning the volume up if they pick up an increase in external sound.
And you can of course find lower-price models between $17 and $30. I’ve tested and reviewed the most popular models, which you can find out more about in my white noise machine reviews.
So there you have it – my breakdown of the best sources of white noise online. Whether you want to listen to a free player, buy soundtracks or an actual sleep sound machine is up to you of course. But hopefully you will find something which suits your preferred listening style.