Using a mattress topper is an effective way to improve your bed, and is usually much less expensive than replacing the entire mattress.
If you need to breathe new life into your aging mattress, make it softer or have firmer support for your back, there’s a topper for the job.
At the end of the day, choosing the right topper is a subjective matter, much like picking a mattress.
So below are suggestions for excellent mattress toppers that should improve both your bed and your sleep. You’ll find my recommended low-cost option first, with the more expensive brands further down the list.
1. Linenspa gel infused memory foam
Low-cost memory foam mattress topper designed to reduce heat retention
The Linenspa gel-infused memory foam topper offers an opportunity to try out memory foam at a considerably lower price than some of the more luxury toppers.
With a choice of either two or three inches thickness (I would go with three inches if you need more body support), this is a topper that will cushion your body, feel soft and still provide support for your body.
That cushioning means you can drift off to sleep safe in the knowledge that you won’t be bothered by the pain of pressure points. And if you have an old mattress that’s become uncomfortable, it will help hide lumpy parts and reduce the firmness a notch or two.
Here are some key points to consider:
- It molds well to the shape of your body, both cushioning and supporting you.
- It provides support for your back and joints to ease pain and pressure points.
- The foam is CertiPUR US certified for quality.
- The gel-infused design is better than standard memory foam if you’re a hot sleeper.
- It’s available in two inches or three inches for maximum body support.
- Affordable price for a memory foam topper.
- It comes with a generous three year warranty.
For such a reasonable price, it’s hard to complain about the Linenspa mattress topper. It would be good if it came with a cover, but it’s the main memory foam body that’s most important. And there is the option of a relatively inexpensive protector.
Do remember that despite being better than normal memory foam toppers in terms of heat build-up, it’s still memory foam at the end of the day. So in a hot bedroom in the summer, you might need additional methods to tackle the heat.
Overall, this is a good option for adding some extra comfort and body support, whether you’re new to memory foam or are looking for a good quality mattress topper.
2. Molecule AirTEC mattress topper
A very breathable mattress topper that excels in both comfort and body support
As a hot sleeper, the Molecule AirTEC is my personal favorite of the many memory foam toppers I’ve tried – both for breathability and comfort.
You can really tell the difference in quality when you compare the multiple layers with generic memory foam toppers. Those might be cheaper, which is great. But they tend to be chunks of generic memory foam that feel too warm or just aren’t as supportive for the body as you’d hoped for.
Molecule have successfully designed the most breathable memory foam mattress topper I’ve slept on. And rather than being one piece, it’s engineered with three distinct layers (as well as a cover).
The top layer is designed to have five times more airflow than standard memory foam, and also conforms very comfortably to your body. The main foam layer has an open cell structure which also helps with air flow. And a base layer adds more support for the entire body while you sleep. The end result is a surface you can comfortably sink into at the end of a long day.
These are the key points to consider:
- It conforms well to the body and provides pressure relief for the hips and shoulders.
- It feels cooler than other memory foam toppers due to better airflow.
- The cover looks good aesthetically, and feels soft and cool on the skin.
- The base layer helps with body support and to disguise an uneven mattress.
- Its made in the USA from CertiPur-US certified foam.
- The company has a focus on eco-friendly manufacturing.
- There’s much less off-gassing and need to air the memory foam.
- Made from durable materials, with a five year guarantee.
- There’s a 30 day money back trial period, and they donate returns to a charity.
The only downside as I see it is that it’s more expensive than a lot of generic memory foam toppers. And that’s the only reason I didn’t put it at the top of this comparison, as I know many people’s budgets are a little stretched in 2020.
But if you don’t mind paying a bit extra for an upgrade in breathability, comfort, and support, the Molecule is without doubt the memory foam topper I would recommend. It looks great aesthetically compared to basic memory foam, it’s more breathable, and it feels very comfortable to sleep on.
3. Exceptional Sheets bamboo mattress pad
Comfortable goose down alternative. Provides softness
The natural bamboo topper by Exceptional Sheets is technically advertised as a pad rather than a topper. However, the terms pad and topper are often interchangeable, with the end result being what really matters.
The pad is particularly soft and comfortable, feeling like goose down and very popular due to this. It won’t mold to and support your body like a memory foam topper, but it does a pretty good job of providing the fabled ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling.
Here are the key features:
- The inside contains revoLoft cluster fiber, which has the gentle feel of down, just without the occasional feather poking through.
- It has a silky bamboo blend cover, which makes it feel even softer under your sheets.
- It’s a good alternative if you’re allergic to down, but enjoy that feel and softness.
- It can be used on top of either a mattress or a firmer topper such as memory foam or latex.
- It’s designed with individual boxes of fiber to keep an even shape.
- It’s easy to clean and machine washable.
- Low price compared to memory foam, latex or wool.
- You get a 30 day return and one year exchange warranty.
One point to bear in mind is that if you need to hide large lumps or dips in your current mattress, you might need a thicker topper. This one will disguise some minor signs of usage, but not if the mattress is in particularly bad shape.
If your main goal is to add an extra layer of softness and comfort though, it’s a great option. It will definitely boost the softness of your current mattress and feels wonderful to sleep on.
4. Pure Green latex mattress topper
A high-quality latex mattress topper for a relatively low price
Latex mattress toppers are notoriously pricey. And the cost can increase significantly if you opt for three inches of thickness rather than two, or even a more humble one inch.
So the main reason I’m including the Pure Green before the more luxury Ultimate Dreams (below) is simply the price.
Firstly, the three inch version is cheaper than other latex topper brands I’ve looked at recently. And secondly, you can choose a one or two inch version instead of the full three, which will bring the cost down even more.
They also have soft, medium or firm versions, just to add some more confusion to the choice! Personally, I like the soft version as I’m a side sleeper and it helps make the bed feel more comfortable. If you sleep mostly on your back, you might prefer the medium or firm instead.
Essentially, this is an opportunity to try out latex without breaking the bank. It’s made by a company in Sri Lanka, which perhaps explains the lower price than American made toppers, like the Ultimate Dreams.
Let’s take a look at some of the key details:
- It’s made from 100% natural latex, with no synthetic materials.
- It has good durability as it’s made with natural latex.
- You’ll have a temperature neutral and breathable sleep surface. It won’t actively cool you, but it won’t feel as hot as memory foam either.
- It’s available in all bed sizes.
- You can choose one, two or three inch thickness.
- There’s a soft, medium, or firm version available too.
- It feels very comfortable to sleep on, with the soft version both supporting the body and making a hard mattress feel much better.
I think the only real downside is that it’s a little confusing working out which size to choose! Personally, I think one inch is arguably too little unless you already have a soft enough bed and just want a little extra support.
I think two inches is enough, but three better if you’re a heavier person or have serious issues with pressure points. As for softness, I think that’s purely personal preference. I went with the soft two inch king size and liked how it breathed new life into my mattress.
5. Ultimate Dreams Talalay latex topper
High-quality latex mattress topper to improve both the comfort and support of your bed
Made in the United States by the Dreamfoam bedding company, the excellent Ultimate Dreams latex mattress topper ticks all the right boxes for comfort, support, and durability.
It’s a healthy 3 inches thick, which will go a long way to hiding any lumps or dips in your current mattress. And you have three choices of firmness to choose from, depending on your personal preferences.
The soft version is at the lower end of the scale for firmness, adding a comforting layer of softness when you sleep. The medium provides a good combination of softness and support for pressure points, in my opinion.
The firm option is ideal for those who seek the most supportive surface possible, rather than the sleeping on a cloud effect.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It’s very comfortable and supportive for your body.
- You can choose the level of firmness you need.
- The material itself is a quality blended latex, made from 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex.
- It’s hypoallergenic, ideal for allergy sufferers.
- It comes with a soft and elegant bamboo fabric case.
- You have a 45 day comfort warranty, so you can return it if you’re not satisfied.
- The latex is durable and will last for a long time without sagging.
- It’s heavy enough to stay in place on your current mattress.
- It’s breathable and won’t retain as much heat as memory foam toppers.
Overall, this is an impressive mattress topper. It’s solidly constructed with high-quality materials, with enough choice to get the exact level of support you need.
Latex is arguably superior to memory foam when it comes to providing the best support for your body, particularly if you suffer from back pain or pressure points.
So if you’re looking for a serious upgrade to your bed and the most comfortable surface possible to sleep on, the Ultimate Dreams latex topper is one I highly recommend.
My only caveat is that it’s a luxury topper that’s only available in the larger three inch size, making it more expensive than other brands like the Pure Green (above). And as noted above, it’s a blend with some synthetic latex added.
6. Sleep & Beyond organic merino wool topper
Luxury organic merino wool topper. Good body support and temperature regulation
If you’re not keen on synthetic materials such as memory foam or polyester, wool deserves a close look when selecting a mattress topper.
With an organic cotton jacquard encasement and filling of organic merino wool, the Sleep & Beyond mattress topper embodies both quality design and materials.
The result is a satisfying balance of luxurious feel, additional body support for your mattress and good temperature regulation in both the summer and winter.
Here are the key points to note:
- The inside fill is organic merino wool. The exterior encasement is 100% organic cotton.
- At 1.5 inches thick, it adds some extra comfort while allowing easy movement in bed.
- It provides firm, yet comfortable support for your body.
- Hypoallergenic and more resistant to mildew and dust mites than most topper materials.
- It’s durable and should last for many years.
- The breathable materials will help keep your temperature at a comfortable level.
The main downside is that the topper is only 1.5 inches thick. So although it will add some comfortable padding and support, it won’t fix a significantly lumpy mattress. And it might not be thick enough if you’re looking for as much soft padding as you can possibly squeeze into one topper.
A wool mattress topper of this size is a good choice if you need to add some extra body support and comfort without creating too thick a surface to sink into. And unlike memory foam, it won’t sleep too hot in the warmer months of the year, yet will still feel cozy in the winter.
Overall, this is a carefully made topper with high-quality natural materials that will improve your sleeping surface and hopefully your sleep along with it.
7. Sleep Innovations 4 inch dual layer
Combination of memory foam and fiber-fill. Will soften a hard mattress
If your aim is to increase the softness of your bed with a mattress topper, the Sleep Innovations dual layer offers exactly that. And it will still provide excellent support for your body.
It’s important to note that it’s not just one topper that’s four inches thick. It consists of two separate toppers, combining to provide the support you need.
The bottom layer is memory foam, probably best described as medium firmness, and molds well to your body. The top layer is quilted fiber-fill, neatly separated into boxed sections. This top section feels lovely and soft to lie on.
They give you the choice of two inch thickness of each later, or three inches of memory foam and one inch of fiber-fill. It’s personal preference, but I personally like the even split.
Here are the key points to consider:
- You have the choice of using memory foam or fiber-fill, or combining them for extra softness.
- The combined four inches is more than enough to completely change the feel of your current mattress.
- It’s an effective way to soften the feel of a firm mattress.
- The memory foam molds quickly to your body, providing some support for pressure points.
- The top cover also acts as a fitted sheet, stretching tightly over the foam section and mattress to keep both layers in place.
- The top cover is machine washable.
- It comes with a long 10 year limited warranty.
My only criticism is the promise of gel cooling. It might be better than some memory foam mattress toppers in terms of heat retention, but in very hot weather you’ll still need to tackle the room temperature with air conditioning or other methods.
That aside, the main aim of this topper is to soften your mattress, and it does that very effectively. And since the softness doesn’t come at the expense of support for your body, it’s a good choice no matter which position you like to sleep in.
And the fact that you can choose between different styles (memory foam, fiber-fill or both) means you can conveniently experiment with different levels of support.