The level of comfort and support provided by your mattress can have a profound impact on your sleep.
Using a mattress topper is an effective way to improve your bed, and is usually much less expensive than replacing the original mattress.
If you need to revitalize an ageing mattress, change the softness or firmness, or have better support for your body, there’s a topper for the job.
In this review, I’ll be looking at the best mattress toppers made from a range of materials: memory foam, latex, wool, down alternative and cotton.
Hopefully, you’ll find one which helps improve your bed, and your sleep along with it.
|Sleep Innovations 4 inch dual layer mattress topper||Amazon|
|Exceptional Sheets bamboo mattress pad||Amazon|
|Ultimate dreams talalay latex topper||Amazon|
|Malouf Isolus 2 inch ventilated memory foam||Amazon|
|Biosleep Concept organic wool topper||Amazon|
1. Sleep Innovations 4 inch dual layer mattress topper
Combination of memory foam and fiber-fill. Will soften a hard mattress
If your aim is to increase the softness of your bed with a mattress topper, the Sleep Innovations dual layer offers exactly that. And it will still provide good support for your body.
It’s important to note that it’s not one topper that’s 4 inches thick. You actually get 2 separate toppers (each 2 inches thick) that sit one on top of the other on your mattress.
The bottom layer is a 3 lb density memory foam, probably best described as medium firmness, and molds well to your body.
The top layer is a plush fiber-fill, neatly separated into boxed sections. And that top section feels lovely and soft to lie on.
Here are the key points to consider:
- You have the choice of using memory foam or fiber-fill, or combining them for extra softness.
- The combined 4 inches is more than enough to completely change the feel of your current mattress.
- It’s an effective way to considerably soften the feel of a firm mattress.
- The memory foam molds quickly to your body, providing some support for pressure points.
- The top cover also acts as a fitted sheet, stretching tightly over the foam section and mattress to keep both layers in place.
- There is some initial odor, but it dissipates after a couple of days.
- The top cover is machine washable.
- It comes with a 10 year warranty.
The only criticism is the promise of gel cooling. It might be better than some memory foam mattress toppers in terms of heat retention, but in very hot weather it probably won’t keep you cool all night.
That aside, the main aim of this topper is to soften your mattress, and it does that very effectively. And the softness doesn’t come at the expense of support for your body, so it’s a good choice no matter what position you like to sleep in.
And the fact that you can choose between different styles – memory foam, fiber-fill or both – means you can experiment with different levels of support.Buy from Amazon
2. Exceptional Sheets bamboo mattress pad
Comfortable goose down alternative. Provides softness
The natural bamboo topper by Exceptional Sheets is technically advertised as a pad rather than a topper. However, the terms pad and topper are often interchangeable, with the end result being what really matters.
The pad is particularly soft and comfortable, feeling like goose down and very popular due to this.
It won’t mold to and support your body like a memory foam topper, but it will get you some way towards that fabled ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling.
Here are the key features:
- The inside is made from cluster fiber – little balls of soft fiber which improve ventilation and help maintain shape.
- It has a silky bamboo blend cover, making it feel even softer under your sheets.
- It’s a hypoallergenic alternative if you’re allergic to down, but enjoy that level of softness.
- It can be used on top of either a mattress or a firmer topper such as memory foam or latex.
- It’s designed with individual boxes of fiber to keep an even shape.
- It’s easy to clean and machine washable.
- You get a 30 day return and 1 year exchange warranty.
The main downside is that if you’re trying to hide large lumps or dips in your current mattress, it might not be up to the job. It will disguise some minor signs of usage, but not if the mattress is in really bad shape.
If your main goal is to add an extra layer of softness and comfort though, it’s a great option. It will definitely boost the softness of your current mattress, and feels lovely to sleep on.Buy from Amazon
3. Ultimate dreams Talalay latex topper
Latex mattress topper. Improves the firmness and support
It’s 3 inches thick, which will help hide any lumps or dips in your current mattress, and you have three choices of firmness to choose from.
The soft version is at the lower end of the scale for firmness, adding a comforting layer of softness when you sleep. The medium provides just the right combination of softness and support for pressure points.
And the firm option is ideal if you need some relief from pressure points, but don’t want so much ‘sinking’ feeling.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It’s comfortable and supportive for your body.
- You can choose the level of firmness you need.
- The material itself is a quality blended latex, made from 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex.
- It’s hypoallergenic, ideal for allergy sufferers.
- It comes with a soft and elegant bamboo fabric case.
- You get a 45 day comfort warranty.
- The latex is durable and will last for a long time without sagging.
- It’s heavy enough to stay in place on your current mattress.
- It’s breathable and doesn’t retain heat like memory foam toppers.
Overall, it’s an impressive mattress topper, solidly constructed with quality materials, and with enough choice to get the exact level of support you need.
Latex is arguably superior to memory foam when it comes to providing the best support for your body, particularly if you suffer from back pain or pressure points.
So if you’re looking for a serious mattress upgrade which you’ll sleep comfortably on, the Ultimate Dreams latex topper won’t disappoint.Buy from Amazon
4. Malouf Isolus 2 inch ventilated memory foam
Memory foam mattress topper that avoids heat retention
The Isolus ventilated mattress topper is a supportive and comfortable memory foam topper, made by the well-respected bedding company Malouf.
At 2 inches thick, this is a topper which will cushion your body enough to both feel soft and still provide support for your body. So you can drift off to sleep safe in the knowledge that you won’t be bothered by the pain of pressure points.
Impressively for a memory foam topper, you’ll find it has minimal heat retention due to the ventilation tubes running throughout it.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It molds well to the shape of your body, both cushioning and supporting you.
- It supports your back and joints to ease pain and pressure.
- It’s ventilated to allow air flow and prevent heat retention.
- Comes with a 3 year warranty.
- Affordable price for a memory foam topper.
There isn’t much to complain about with this mattress topper. It would be nice if it came with a cover, but it’s the main body which is most important.
And despite being better than other memory foam toppers in terms of heat and initial smell, you may find that there’s still a little of both.
Overall, it’s a good choice, whether you’re new to memory foam or are looking for a good quality mattress topper. Once you’ve slept on it, it’s unlikely you’ll want to go back to a normal mattress.Buy from Amazon
5. Biosleep Concept organic wool topper
Luxury organic wool topper. Good body support
The Biosleep Concept is an excellent wool mattress topper, with a lovely balance of luxurious feel, body support and temperature regulation at night.
If you’re not keen on the more synthetic materials such as memory foam or polyester, wool should be on your radar when selecting a mattress topper.
And if you tend to overheat at night or have allergies, and want a comfortable yet firm, supportive, chemical-free mattress topper it’s a great option.
Here are the key points to note:
- The inside is organic wool from the United States. The cover is 100% cotton.
- Being 3 inches thick, it will effectively cover minor lumps and sagging in an old mattress.
- It’s comfortable to sleep on, yet balances that with a firm support for your body, helping any aches or problems with pressure points.
- It’s hypoallergenic and resistant to mildew and dust mites.
- Even though it will compress, with regular fluffing you’ll find it’s very durable and should last years.
- It’s breathable and will help keep you cooler than most other mattress toppers, yet also provide warmth and comfort in winter.
One drawback to wool is that it does tend to compress over time, so you’ll probably find you need to occasionally fluff it. You’ll also need to take it outside for a few minutes to breathe once in a while.
Wool toppers are probably the best choice if you need a combination of support for aching muscles or stiff joints and temperature regulation.
And this is a carefully made topper with high-quality natural materials which does those jobs very well.Buy from Amazon