Using a mattress topper is an effective way to improve your bed, and is usually much less expensive than replacing the entire mattress.
If you need to breathe new life into your aging mattress, make it softer or have firmer support for your back, there’s a topper for the job.
At the end of the day, choosing the right topper is a subjective matter, much like picking a mattress.
So below are suggestions for excellent mattress toppers that should improve both your bed and your sleep. You’ll find my recommended low-cost option first, with the more expensive brands further down the list.
1. Linenspa gel infused memory foam
Low-cost memory foam mattress topper designed to reduce heat retention
The Linenspa gel-infused memory foam topper offers an opportunity to try out memory foam at a considerably lower price than some of the more luxury toppers.
With a choice of either 2 or 3 inches thick (I would go with 3 inches if you’re a larger person), this is a topper that will cushion your body, feel soft and still provide support for your body.
So you can drift off to sleep safe in the knowledge that you won’t be bothered by the pain of pressure points. And if you have an old mattress that’s become uncomfortable, it will help hide lumpy parts and reduce the firmness a notch or two.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It molds well to the shape of your body, both cushioning and supporting you.
- It provides support for your back and joints to ease pain and pressure points.
- The foam is CertiPUR US certified for quality.
- The gel-infused design is better than normal memory foam for hot sleepers.
- It’s available in 2 inches or 3 inches for maximum body support.
- Affordable price for a memory foam topper.
For such a reasonable price, it’s hard to complain about the Linenspa mattress topper. It would be good if it came with a cover, but it’s the main memory foam body which is most important.
Do remember that despite being better than standard memory foam toppers in terms of heat build-up, it’s still memory foam at the end of the day. So in a hot bedroom in the summer, you might need additional techniques to tackle the heat.
Overall, this is a good option for adding some extra comfort and body support, whether you’re new to memory foam or are looking for a good quality mattress topper.
2. Exceptional Sheets bamboo mattress pad
Comfortable goose down alternative. Provides softness
The natural bamboo topper by Exceptional Sheets is technically advertised as a pad rather than a topper. However, the terms pad and topper are often interchangeable, with the end result being what really matters.
The pad is particularly soft and comfortable, feeling like goose down and very popular due to this.
It won’t mold to and support your body like a memory foam topper, but it does a pretty good job of providing the fabled ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling.
Here are the key features:
- The inside is made from cluster fiber – little balls of soft fiber which improve ventilation and help maintain shape.
- It has a silky bamboo blend cover, making it feel even softer under your sheets.
- It’s a hypoallergenic alternative if you’re allergic to down, but enjoy that level of softness.
- It can be used on top of either a mattress or a firmer topper such as memory foam or latex.
- It’s designed with individual boxes of fiber to keep an even shape.
- It’s easy to clean and machine washable.
- You get a 30 day return and 1 year exchange warranty.
One point to bear in mind is that if you need to hide unusually large lumps or dips in your current mattress, you might need a thicker topper. This one will disguise some minor signs of usage, but not if the mattress is in bad shape.
If your main goal is to add an extra layer of softness and comfort though, it’s a great option. It will definitely boost the softness of your current mattress and feels wonderful to sleep on.
3. Pure Green latex mattress topper
A high-quality latex mattress topper for a relatively low price
Latex mattress toppers are notoriously pricey. And the cost can increase significantly if you opt for three inches of thickness rather than two, or even a more humble one inch.
So the main reason I’m including the Pure Green before the more luxury Ultimate Dreams (below) is simply the price.
Firstly, the three inch version is cheaper than other latex topper brands I’ve looked at recently. And secondly, you can choose a one or two inch version instead of the full three, which will bring the cost down even more.
They also have soft, medium or firm versions, just to add some more confusion to the choice! Personally, I like the soft version as I’m a side sleeper and it helps make the bed feel more comfortable. If you’re a back sleeper, you might prefer the medium or firm instead.
Essentially, this is an opportunity to try out latex without breaking the bank. It’s made by a company in Sri Lanka, which perhaps explains the lower price than American made toppers, like the Ultimate Dreams.
Let’s take a look at some of the key details:
- It’s made from 100% natural latex, with no synthetic materials.
- It has good durability as it’s made with natural latex.
- You’ll have a temperature neutral and breathable sleep surface. It won’t actively cool you, but it won’t feel as hot as memory foam either.
- It’s available in all bed sizes.
- You can choose a one, two or three inch thickness.
- There’s a soft, medium or firm version available too.
- It feels very comfortable to sleep on, with the soft version both supporting the body and making a hard mattress feel much better.
I think the only real downside is that it’s a little confusing working out which size to choose! Personally, I think one inch is arguably too little, unless you already have a soft enough bed and just want a little extra support.
I think two inches is enough, but three better if you’re a heavier person or have serious issues with pressure points. As for softness, I think that’s purely personal preference. I went with the soft two inch king size and liked how it breathed new life into my mattress.
4. Ultimate Dreams Talalay latex topper
High-quality latex mattress topper to improve both the comfort and support of your bed
Made in the United States by the Dreamfoam bedding company, the excellent Ultimate Dreams latex mattress topper ticks all the right boxes for comfort, support, and durability.
It’s a healthy 3 inches thick, which will go a long way to hiding any lumps or dips in your current mattress. And you have three choices of firmness to choose from, depending on your personal preferences.
The soft version is at the lower end of the scale for firmness, adding a comforting layer of softness when you sleep. The medium provides a good combination of softness and support for pressure points, in my opinion.
And the firm option is ideal for those who seek a solid supportive surface rather than the sleeping on a cloud effect.
Here are the key points to consider:
- It’s very comfortable and supportive for your body.
- You can choose the level of firmness you need.
- The material itself is a quality blended latex, made from 40% natural latex and 60% synthetic latex.
- It’s hypoallergenic, ideal for allergy sufferers.
- It comes with a soft and elegant bamboo fabric case.
- You have a 45 day comfort warranty, so you can return it if you’re not satisfied.
- The latex is durable and will last for a long time without sagging.
- It’s heavy enough to stay in place on your current mattress.
- It’s breathable and doesn’t retain heat like memory foam toppers.
Overall, this is an impressive mattress topper: it’s solidly constructed with high-quality materials, with enough choice to get the exact level of support you need.
Latex is arguably superior to memory foam when it comes to providing the best support for your body, particularly if you suffer from back pain or pressure points.
So if you’re looking for a serious upgrade to your bed and the most comfortable surface possible to sleep on, the Ultimate Dreams latex topper is one I highly recommend.
My only caveat is that it’s a luxury topper that’s only available in the larger 3 inch size, making it more expensive than other brands like the Pure Green (above). And as noted above, it’s a blend with some synthetic latex added.
5. Sleep & Beyond organic merino wool topper
Luxury organic merino wool topper. Good body support and temperature regulation
If you’re not keen on synthetic materials such as memory foam or polyester, wool deserves a close look when selecting a mattress topper.
With an organic cotton jacquard encasement and filling of organic merino wool, the Sleep & Beyond mattress topper embodies both quality design and materials.
The result is a satisfying balance of luxurious feel, additional body support for your mattress and good temperature regulation in both the summer and winter.
Here are the key points to note:
- The inside is organic merino wool. The exterior encasement is 100% cotton.
- At 1.5 inches thick, it adds some extra comfort while allowing easy movement in bed.
- It provides firm, yet comfortable support for your body.
- Hypoallergenic and more resistant to mildew and dust mites than most topper materials.
- It’s durable and should last for many years.
- The breathable materials will help keep your temperature at a comfortable level.
The main downside is that the topper is only 1.5 inches thick. So although it will add some comfortable padding and support, it won’t fix a significantly lumpy mattress. And it might not be thick enough if you’re looking for as much soft padding as you can possibly squeeze into one topper.
A wool mattress topper of this size is a good choice if you need to add some extra body support and comfort without creating too thick a surface to sink into. And unlike memory foam, it won’t sleep too hot in the warmer months of the year, while still being cozy in the colder.
Overall, this is a carefully made topper with high-quality natural materials that will improve your sleeping surface and hopefully your sleep along with it.
6. Sleep Innovations 4 inch dual layer
Combination of memory foam and fiber-fill. Will soften a hard mattress
If your aim is to increase the softness of your bed with a mattress topper, the Sleep Innovations dual layer offers exactly that. And it will still provide excellent support for your body.
It’s important to note that it’s not just one topper that’s 4 inches thick. It consists of 2 separate toppers (each 2 inches thick) which work best in combination.
The bottom layer is a 3 lb density memory foam, probably best described as medium firmness, and molds well to your body.
The top layer is a plush fiber-fill, neatly separated into boxed sections. And the top section feels lovely and soft to lie on.
Here are the key points to consider:
- You have the choice of using memory foam or fiber-fill, or combining them for extra softness.
- The combined 4 inches is more than enough to completely change the feel of your current mattress.
- It’s an effective way to soften the feel of a firm mattress.
- The memory foam molds quickly to your body, providing some support for pressure points.
- The top cover also acts as a fitted sheet, stretching tightly over the foam section and mattress to keep both layers in place.
- The top cover is machine washable.
- It comes with a 10 year warranty.
My only criticism is the promise of gel cooling. It might be better than some memory foam mattress toppers in terms of heat retention, but in very hot weather you’ll still need to tackle the room temperature with air conditioning or other methods.
That aside, the main aim of this topper is to soften your mattress, and it does that very effectively. And since the softness doesn’t come at the expense of support for your body, it’s a good choice no matter which position you like to sleep in.
And the fact that you can choose between different styles (memory foam, fiber-fill or both) means you can conveniently experiment with different levels of support.